News and More

Shop eVitamins and receive $5.00 off your first order. The credit is already in your cart! Compliments of Tom and Craig - we receive 4% of your order as a store credit.
Link to jiovi

Monday, September 26, 2011

Seabuckthorn Propagation Update and Autumn Activities

Propagation Update September 2011
My attempt at rooting cuttings did not go well at all.  Yes, all the Titan Hippophae Rhamnoides cuttings died within 3 weeks.  There were a number of things which I have since learned which may have avoided this outcome.  Through some reading, I realize the cut ends of the seabuckthorn plants should not be dipped in the rooting hormone as much as I did.  Just the fresh cut should have the hormone powder.  Additionally, I used sterilized sand and a sterilized soil-less mixture would have worked better.  Mike commented on the last post about that and I will take his advice next attempt.

Plant Update September 2011

This photo is of a purchased, unsexed Hippophae Rhamnoides seedling.  It is a good representation of most of the purchased plants.  While some are doing and looking better than some others, you can see the old wood which looks less than vigorous with some fairly healthy branching.  This is the second season in the ground for this plant and I am contemplating moving it and others which are in similar condition to a new spot.  My decision is on hold while weighing the risks.  It may be just the old saying "first year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap."  As readers remember the first year was a nearly loosing battle with Winter Moth Caterpillars and June Bugs.  This, the second year, I was prepared for the onslaught of those Seabuckthorn pests and the plants were not challenged to the same degree.

Another Seabuckthorn plant in the same patch which is showing healthier growth (also second season).  Is it ready to "leap" next year?--I hope so!

Clicking on this photo will allow you to see it in full size.  It show an experiment with inter-planting the Orange Energy variety of Seabuckthorn with onion chives in an attempt repel the chewing insects.  This worked and did not seem to have a negative effect on this second year seedling.  To the contrary, it did very well this year.  

I hope to be posting more frequently and apologize for the time between posts.  Life happens and while some time was otherwise occupied, the seaberry experiment has moved ahead and am looking forward to sharing.

Tack för att du besöker min blogg om växa havtorn.


  1. Hi from the mountains in Central Spai.
    I have tried to root Hippophae rhamnoides cuttings by means of IBA (liquid) last year on a mixture of coconut fiber (peat substitute), sand, vermiculite and perlite, without success; it is a mixture which went well in other previous experiences I made with many other plants. The 10 to 15 cm cuttings came from males and females of a wild Spanish population on the Southern Pyrenean Mountains.
    Next months I am plannig another try with cuttings from selected varieties and using rooting gel as Clonex (2500 ppm IBA plus fugiocide) or Rootech (perhaps too strong, 4500 ppm IBA). It is good to have a bottom heating (about 20 to 25 ºC) of the rooting bed or pots, as well as to make a small "grenhouse" over the plants to keep a high moist, but allowing to come fresh air once in a while to avoid fungal diseases, as well as to make a sort cut with the clean knife across the basal cutting section.
    Some literature:
    "The application of an hormone in propagation of Sea Buckthorn is good to produce a quickerrooting of the softwood cuttings, gettings better results the ones treated with 200 mg L-l for 24 h".
    "Cuttings of 15 cm long and about 3 mm in diameter were harvested from seven clones. A basal incision was made  on half of the cuttings. All cuttings were treated with a solution of 1000 p.p.m. of potassic IBA for 5 seconds. The cuttings were placed in a bed with humid coconut peat; a basal electric heater maintained the bottom bed temperature at 20ºC for 30 days. The percentage of rooting,  the number and length of roots were recorded. The indicated that the species had good rooting capacity (average 63,7%) however, high variability within the clone population was observed. Basal incision stimulated the increase of rooting".
    "Hippophae rhamnoides rooted best when cuttings collected at the end of June were treated with 3000 ppm IBA".

  2. Root cuttings seem to be the way to go -