Seabuckthorn Plant Buying Guide - Our Plants available here
I am going to try my best to list the available places and types of Sea Buckthorn plants for sale from many places. Hippophae rhamnoides plants (seaberry) are in fairly high demand. The companies listed below tend to sell out. So if you choose to purchase from one of them, it is a good idea to make your choices and place your order as soon as possible.
Types of Plants
Unsexed - Sea Buckthorn plants are either male or female. Determining their sex can only be accomplished by observing their blossoms or the fruit (if it is a female plant) These plants are generally, but not always less expensive since you are not certain which sex or the proportion of male vs. female plants you receive. These plants have been propagated from seed, not from cuttings and are generally more vigorous and the survival rate is higher once you get them home and planted in your garden. (Hippophae rhamnoides L. subsp. sinensis)
Suppliers of Unsexed Seabuckthorn Plants -
- Right here! :-) On the sidebar to the right, I have a link for plant sales from Foxgreen Farms. These are the same plants which I have talked about for the last 100 posts here on this blog. What I can tell you is that they are tough and beautiful plants. I have purchased hundreds of dollars of varietal plants and have not had anywhere near the survival success with those. The downside, of course, is that not knowing whether you have a male or female Sea Buckthorn plant until they flower so, (sometime between the 2nd to 3rd year after planting), it will be a source of mystery and anticipation. The upside is that they are more likely to grow.
- Whole Systems Design was selling some unsexed plants and here is the link http://www.wholesystemsdesign.com/wsrf-sales Right now they have wine cap mushroom spore for sale and I do not see any seabuckthorn plants. That could change so check it out. They were previously for sale for @$26.00 each.
- Burnt Ridge Nursery - Unsexed Sea Berry Seedlings are being sold for $6.00-$8.00 each with shipping starting at $16.50 http://www.burntridgenursery.com/Seaberry/products/140/
- Fedco Trees in Waterville, Maine has had them in the past too. Right now they are out of stock and I do not know when they may have more. The link to their sea buckthorn seedling page is http://www.fedcoseeds.com
Sexed and maybe Varietal Sea Buckthorn Plants
Since you need a male and female plant to produce berries it is a good idea to plant a few unsexed plants or buy known genders from one of the following suppliers. Sexed plants are propagated from rooted cuttings of known plants.
Suppliers of Sexed Seabuckthorn Plants-
- Raintree Nursery - http://www.raintreenursery.com/Unusual_Edibles/Sea_Berries/ Raintree has 4 varieties of female Seaberries available and 1 male variety. The females are Askola, Golden Sweet, Leikora, and Titan. The prices range from $21.50 to $24.50/plant. Shipping starts at $14.95.
- Burnt Ridge Nursery- has sexed plants too. They offer Garden's Gift and Golden Sweet varieties of hippophae rhamnoides. Prices start at $13.50. Shipping starts at $16.50.
- Direct Gardening- Has one variety for sale, Leikora. The price is $12.99. Shipping starts at $9.99. http://www.directgardening.com/detail.asp?ProductID=3075
- Honeyberry USA - They have 2 varieties. Star of Altai (sold out) and Russian Orange. Prices start at $20.00/plant and shipping starts at $15-$20 depending on location and number of plants. http://honeyberryusa.com/honeyberry-plants-4.html I was hoping to see them offer Autumn Gold Sea Buckthorn plants this year. Maybe they do in Canada?
- One Green World - These guys/gals have the most choice of sea buckthorn varieties I have seen on the internet for sale. The varieties are: Askola, Botanica, Frugana, Garden's Gift, Golden Sweet, Hergo, and Leikora. They have a male seaberry plant for sale too, as do most of the places listed here. https://www.onegreenworld.com/products.php?category=397& Prices start at $21.95 and shipping starts at $12.95
- Jung- Has Leikora for sale. Price starts at 21.95 and shipping varies. http://www.jungseed.com/dp.asp?pID=30439&c=236&p=Leikora+Sea+Berry+Or+Sea+Buckthorn
- Vermont Edible Landscapes - https://www.facebook.com/vermontediblelandscapes/info has plants for sale, you would have to contact them to discover the details. Better yet, if you live within driving distance, call Meghan and talk to her about visiting.
- Richters Herbs- (Canada but ships to US too) http://www.richters.com/newdisplay.cgi?page=home.html&cart_id=5936270.4419 Use the search box and enter Seabuckthorn. The plants they have for sale indicate "Sold Out" They may get more, I don't know.
Please comment or send me an email and I will add additional sources for Sea Buckthorn plants when I find out about them.
One last sales pitch for the plants I have for sale. They are the best buy around and the best quality for unsexed, non-varietal plants. I planted nearly 500 of them last year and there was almost zero loss of plants. An amazing thing since I expected a 20 percent loss (reportedly normal). Good shopping!